Which Cruise Holiday Providers are maximising their market share online?
Find out which cruise providers are taking the lead in organic search and how they’re doing it.
FIRST has investigated the organic search engine rankings for NZ consumer searches focused on cruise holiday bookings in New Zealand, utilising FIRST’s Ranking Based Reach (RBR) analysis framework. In addition, a consumer survey was carried out to discover where Kiwis go first when searching for a cruise holiday and what their preferred travel destinations are.
In this report we discovered:
- The 2013 Cruise Industry Source Market Report shows that New Zealand cruise passenger numbers reached a record high of 59,316 in 2013, a 23 per cent increase on 2012.* Following this trend, cruise providers not ranking at prominent positions in search are missing out potential sales and should invest in a robust digital strategy to be competitive online.
- Global player Princess Cruises is leading the RBR, closely followed by P&O Cruises and quite a bit behind Lets Cruise.
- In general, search results are broadly dispersed among a wide range of competitors. In this competitive market, some cruise providers have recognized the urgency of ranking well in organic search, nevertheless there are still many companies which are not at all present within organic search.
- In our survey we revealed that of all respondents who have not booked a cruise so far, more than 40% of Kiwis would use a search engine first to find a cruise. Moreover we discovered that 72% of respondents who have never been on a cruise holiday would like to book a cruise in the future. This offers great opportunities for cruise holiday providers.
- A digital strategy that integrates both organic and paid search should be a key customer acquisition and revenue driver for cruise holiday providers.
FIRST uses its bespoke metric called RBR (Ranking Based Reach) to estimate how well each company is ranking in search engines. RBR provides a simple way to compare a website’s search engine rankings with its competitors. RBR is an estimate of the percentage of available search traffic a website will receive for a set of phrases – this gives the sites share of search or reach. It is weighted based on the popularity of each search phrase and the relative click through rate (CTR) of each ranking position.
Websites included in this cruise holiday industry report comparison: